This can be a have a look at our each day Categorical Briefing publication. Sign up for Express Briefing here. Subscribers get entry to the complete model of our Categorical Briefing publication, which incorporates unique perception and hyperlinks to extra of our greatest tales. To change into a subscriber, take advantage of this special offer today.
Among the rioters who stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6 have been decked out in attire from two San Antonio corporations — Black Rifle Espresso Co. and Grunt Style — that commemorate the navy.
Their merchandise appeared in footage and video that flooded social media platforms and information protection of the assault, alongside such manufacturers as Carhartt, Nike and Underneath Armour — and a sea of President Donald Trump-inspired T-shirts and baseball caps.
Violent fringe teams appropriating manufacturers is nothing new, based on Venky Shankar, analysis director on the Heart for Retailing Research at Texas A&M College in Faculty Station. He known as the phenomenon “model jacking” or model hijacking.” Brandon Lingle has more in this story, a collaboration with Report for America.
Today, Amanda Salinas scarcely has time to catch her breath. Six days every week, when she goes to Northeast Baptist Hospital for her nursing shift within the emergency division, she is met with the grim actuality of San Antonio’s COVID-19 surge.
Folks on stretchers crowding the hallways. Ready room traces longer than she ever has seen. Sufferers languishing within the emergency room for days, generally for therefore lengthy that they’re discharged earlier than a mattress turns into out there for them upstairs. Hospital workers weary from working below arduous circumstances, with little respite, for the higher a part of a yr.
This isn’t the primary surge Salinas has endured. She has labored on the hospital below a state contract because the first major wave of coronavirus infections. This time, issues are totally different. Lauren Caruba explores how hospitals, health care workers and local officials are scrambling to stop disaster from tipping into disaster.
Now that extra Texans can obtain the coronavirus vaccine, here’s what you need to know.
We even have a dashboard monitoring how much of the state has been vaccinated and one other dashboard the place we’re monitoring San Antonio’s COVID-19 case counts, hospitalizations, positivity rate and more.
NEED TO KNOW
- San Antonio set a record for the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 Sunday, pushing native hospitals even nearer to reaching full capability. The variety of individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 has elevated by about 72 p.c previously month.
- Frost Bank eliminated 68 jobs last week, the primary layoffs in nearly 20 years on the largest regional financial institution primarily based in San Antonio.
- President-elect Joe Biden has large plans for his first 100 days in workplace, when he’s vowed to roll again the Trump administration’s immigration crackdown, push insurance policies addressing local weather change and doubtlessly forgive scholar debt for hundreds of Individuals. Texas is almost certain to fight him every step of the way.
- A deputy with the Bexar County Sheriff’s Workplace was placed on unpaid leave after he was arrested early Sunday. In accordance with the sheriff’s workplace, he allegedly assaulted a fellow off-duty deputy, whom he was courting.
- San Antonians began lining up early Saturday outdoors St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church on the Southeast Facet, desperate to get examined for the coronavirus. After getting examined, most of the residents obtained masks and hand sanitizer, in addition to groceries from the San Antonio Meals Financial institution. Read more about the event here.
- The San Antonio Coalition for Police Accountability condemned comments from the head of the San Antonio Police Officers Association and known as for an investigation of native legislation enforcement officers who might have participated within the riot on the Capitol.
- The 87th Texas Legislature convened Tuesday, with metropolis officers already discovering payments that will have an effect on San Antonio. Here’s a look at several measures San Antonio metropolis leaders are maintaining their eye on this legislative session.
THE FUN STUFF
Owned and run by Syrian refugees, the household historical past is powerful at King of Shawarma and Kabab, the most recent in our 52 Weeks of Meals Vans collection. Read more about the Medical Center food truck.
Cooking: That wok gathering mud behind your cupboard may very well be doing a lot extra. Paul’s Cooking Tips column explores the options.
Gardening: Calvin Finch explains ‘chill hours’ and lists the types of peach trees that do well in San Antonio in his column. Neil Sperry discusses raised backyard beds, when to plant broccoli, why a bleeding coronary heart has misplaced its colour in additional in his Down to Earth column.
Go Spurs Go: Caught in a droop from 3-point vary, the Spurs see no choice but to stick with it from past the arc. In the meantime, the Spurs will proceed to lend support to DeMar DeRozan, who has not been at his greatest since getting back from a two-game absence to are inclined to his in poor health father, Frank. San Antonio visits Portland for a 2 p.m. recreation at this time.
CHECK OUT OUR OTHER NEWSLETTERS
SA Inc.: Get native enterprise news updates from behind the scenes, delivered twice every week.
Texas Take: The most recent in state, local and national politics, delivered each weekday morning.
Actual Property: Get a sneak peek of luxe San Antonio properties, local market trends and homebuying/selling tips.
Style: Hungry for restaurant opinions and recipes? Get the free Taste newsletter, delivered twice every week.